Fire pits have exploded in popularity in recent years, and for good reason. Not only do they provide heat and lighting for nighttime gatherings; fire pits encourage us to slow down and enjoy the simpler things in life. They appeal to kids and adults alike and can be enjoyed year round.
So, it’s understandable that so many of us have purchased the standard round fire pit in our nearest big box store. But after a few years, some of these models begin to show signs of wear, or you might be wishing for additional features. The good news is that a permanent install can provide an instant upgrade to your landscaping or patio area, and you can customize your firepit with a variety of design elements.
When designing your fire pit, ask and answer questions such as these to determine your preferences:
● What height do you want? Inground, above ground, convenient for cooking, safe for young children – these are just some considerations.
● What shape do you prefer? Round, square, or more oblong so that you can fit more people around the fire pit?
● Which fuel type do you prefer? An old-fashioned campfire style, using wood? Gas? Charcoal? Pellets? (At the moment, the state of California is discouraging wood-burning fire pits, and encourages consumers to choose gas)
● What type of material would you prefer, and what matches your existing landscape best? Fire pits can be made of stucco, stone, concrete (rustic or very smooth)?
● Would you prefer to design your fire pit around a bowl or cauldron? Check Etsy for creative ideas.
● Do you want to fill with lava rock or glass? What color? So many colors are available!
● Would you like to include a cooking surface?
And of course, what about the rest of your outdoor seating area? If you choose to install a permanent fire pit structure, it would be wise to consider the landscaping around it. Perhaps you’d like a nice patio, a water feature, some landscaping, or a pathway leading out to your relaxation zone. Your imagination is the limit! Give us a call, and we can discuss your ideas.